What I'm Watching

Monday, August 13, 2007

Blacksnake Moan

OK. I really was surprised by how much I liked this movie. Not that I don't love me some Samuel L. Jackson, who participated in what may be the world's funniest SNL skit ever and who will always, "keep on being his badass self". I just wasn't sure I could get into the movie they way I thought it was billed - hardline guy takes it upon himself to reform loose woman and teach her morals, utilizing a heavy logging chain to accomplish said mission.

Turns out, not so much.

It's really more about 2 (or 3) broken people and their struggle to connect and fix themselves. He doesn't make her stay there after the initial period. He isn't trying to force morality and upstanding citizenry on her. Rather, he was reaching out to help someone (perhaps a daughter substitute, considering how hard they hit us over the head with that image) who needed him.

And, Justin Timb.erlake? Surprisingly not sucky.

I can't decide which of three scenese was most compelling - Ricci confronting her mom (starting with whacking her upside the head with a broom), the actual Blacksnake Moan scene with the flashbacks, or the closing scene with her guiding Timb.erlake through a panic attack.

One interesting thing - if you get this on DVD, definitely check out the deleted scenes. Both PB and I thought that 4 / 5 should definitely be put back in, even at the expense of other scenes. They seemed so crucial, that I'm curious about the editing strategy for the film.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home